Thursday, December 2, 2021

Starfish

Title:  Starfish

Author:  Lisa Fipps

Publisher:  Penguin Young Readers

Date Published:  March 9, 2021

Genre:  Contemporary, Middle Grade, Books In Verse

Rating:  ★★★★★




My Thoughts: 

-    Starfish is getting a lot of buzz this year, and it deserves all the praise. It is such an important message about bullying and body image. I think everyone should read this, and it should be in all the schools. 

-    Ellie is bigger than most of the kids in her school, so she is teased and bullied relentlessly. What is even worse, is her mother is also fat shaming her relentlessly. Ellie doesn't care about her weight, she just wants to be loved and accepted for who she is. She has let her weight define her, but she is so much more.

-    I loved Ellie's journey. She was able to overcome her outside influences and negative inner voice. It was such a beautiful journey to self-love.

-    I love books in verse. I know they aren't for everyone, but I think books in verse are so poignant and beautiful. 

-    I think this book could teach a lot of people to be kinder to others and ourselves. 

6 comments:

  1. Books in verse are very fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. This one has a great message that and I hope it does get read in schools. Empathy is so important! I also love that it shows that kids aren't the only bullies—what parents say can be just as harmful, even worse. We can all do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%! Kids should know their parents love them.

      Delete
  3. So important. Bullying never seems to go away

    ReplyDelete