Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Christy

ChristyGoodreads Synopsis:    Christy Huddleston left home at 19 to teach school in the Smoky Mountains. There she came to know and love the wild mountain people with their fierce pride, their dark superstitions, their terrible poverty, their yearning for beauty and truth. Christy found her faith severely challenged in these primitive surroundings; and, confronted with two young men of unique strengths and needs, she found her own growing yearnings challenged by love.











My Thoughts:

-    Even though I read this book last month, I wanted to review it. My thoughts often wander back to this book and its characters. It is one that has stayed with me and won't let me forget. 

-    The story is charming, heart-breaking, frustrating, and lovely. I enjoyed every moment. 

-    The characters are wonderful. Each of them finds a place into your heart and burrows a little home. I love Christy and her kindness and tenacity. I want to be her when I grow up. I loved all the other characters as well, especially the children and Fairlight. 

-    The characters in the book aren't afraid to ask the hard questions, and I really appreciated that. A lot of the questions asked were similar to my own. Sadly, I don't know if there are answers. The characters were very honest and real about life and faith. 

-    My only complaint with the book is the ending. It ends a little abruptly, and I want to know what happens next! Who does Christy marry!?!?!?

-    I understand why this is a beloved classic. It is a book that beckons to be read again and again. The story and messages are timeless.

1 comment:

  1. I like this book, but I'm with you on the ending. I wanted just a little bit more! :)

    ReplyDelete