Saturday, October 6, 2012

Lemon Tart

Lemon TartFrom Goodreads:    A recipe for murder!

* 5 families living on Peregrine Circle
* 1 flowered curtain tieback
* 1 missing child
* 1 body in the field


Mix with a long list of suspects and top with two very different detectives. Increase heat until only the truth remains.

Award-winning author Josi S. Kilpack introduces a new series of culinary "cozies" that is sure to tantalize mystery lovers. In this debut volume, cooking aficionado-turned-amateur detective, Sadie Hoffmiller, tries to solve the murder of Anne Lemmon, her beautiful young neighbor - a single mother who was mysteriously killed while a lemon tart was baking in her oven. At the heart of Sadie's search is Anne's missing two-year-old son, Trevor. Whoever took the child must be the murderer, but Sadie is certain that the police are looking at all the wrong suspects - including her!

Armed with a handful of her very best culinary masterpieces, Sadie is determined to bake her way to proving her innocence, rescuing Trevor, and finding out exactly who had a motive for murder.

My Thoughts:

-    This murder mystery (that was chucked full of yummy food) was really fun!  It had everything a good mystery book needs:  good cop, bad cop, murder, several suspects, chase scenes, hiding scenes, sneaking around scenes, shocking secrets, etc.  It was great!

-    This made me want to bake and cook....A LOT!!  I'm definitely trying out most of the recipes in the book.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE that the book includes recipes to some of the yummy goodness mentioned in the book. 

-    I loved the main character.  Sadie is so funny and so believable.  I think I know a few ladies just like her.  

-    This whole book took me through so many emotions.  It was suspenseful, thrilling, sad, anger inducing, and other varieties of emotions. 

-    There were a lot of victims in this book, not just the one that got killed.  I feel really bad for some of the people in Sadie's life.  I hope the other books address how everyone gets their lives together...or don't get their lives together. 

-    There were some slow bits in the book, but there were a lot of "I can't turn the pages fast enough" bits too.  The latter outweighed the first.  

-    The whole story and plot were really well thought out!  Koodos for the author!  She did a good job putting this whole mystery together and how it was going to be solved.  There was no way for me to predict the ending!  It was really well done. 

-    My only worry is that there are a lot of books in this series, and I hope they aren't really similar so I get tired of them.  I'm looking forward to the next one though!

1 comment: