Monday, October 22, 2012

The World Above

The World Above: A Retelling of "Jack and the Beanstalk" (Once Upon A Time)From Goodreads:    Gen and her twin brother, Jack, were raised with their mother's tales of life in the World Above. Gen is skeptical, but adventurous Jack believes the stories--and trades the family cow for magical beans. Their mother rejoices, knowing they can finally return to their royal home.When Jack plants the beans and climbs the enchanted stalk, he is captured by the tyrant who now rules the land. Gen sets off to rescue her brother, but danger awaits her in the World Above. For finding Jack may mean losing her heart....









My Thoughts:

-    I love that the story combined Jack and the Beanstalk with Robin Hood.  It was really clever how the author mixed the two stories.

-    The story goes by quickly.  You start reading, and before you know it, the story is ending, and the ending is good!

-    I really liked the characters in this book.  Gen is the type of girl that I wish I could be, sensible, practical, and witty.  Robin has to be my 2nd favorite character.  Who doesn't love a good Robin Hood character?

-    Jack and Gen's relationship was really well done.  They are loving siblings that are very different.  I wish there had been more of Jack in the story, but there is enough of him to know and like his character.

-    This is one of the better Once Upon a Time series.  It is thought through, doesn't leave loose ends, and the reader gets enough info.  

-    This is the only re-telling of Jack and the Beanstalk I've seen.  There should be more!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kami! Sorry it's taken me so long to check out your blog. I basically spent all of last week immersed in Harry Potter so was a bad blogger. This sounds like a cute book. I haven't heard of the Once a Time series. What age is it geared towards?

    ReplyDelete