Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Sweethearts

SweetheartsFrom Goodreads:    As children, Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick were both social outcasts. They were also one another's only friend. So when Cameron disappears without warning, Jennifer thinks she's lost the only person who will ever understand her. Now in high school, Jennifer has been transformed. Known as Jenna, she's popular, happy, and dating, everything "Jennifer" couldn't be---but she still can't shake the memory of her long-lost friend. 

When Cameron suddenly reappears, they are both confronted with memories of their shared past and the drastically different paths their lives have taken.

From the National Book Award nominated author of Story of a Girl, Sweethearts is a story about the power of memory, the bond of friendship, and the quiet resilience of our childhood hearts.


My Thoughts:

-    This was good, but it wasn't amazing! 

-    I feel like we just got the surface of the story. I wanted it to go a bit more in depth. There is so much more to this story that we don't get to see, and I wish the author had explored the characters more. The book isn't that long, so I think more detail could have been added no problem.

-    I liked Jenna. She felt a lot of the same insecurities I felt in school. I like that she ate when stressed. It is not good, but something a lot of people can relate to.

-    Cameron was important to the story, but I felt like he was a ghost of a character. I wanted to know more about him and his life.

-    I am a little disappointed. I've heard a lot about Sara Zarr's books and how everyone loves them, but it wasn't anything special. I still enjoyed it, but I just wanted more.

No comments:

Post a Comment