Monday, December 3, 2018

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Peel Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie SocietyGoodreads Synopsis:    January 1946: Writer Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a stranger, a founding member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And so begins a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German occupation, and of a society as extraordinary as its name.













My Thoughts:

-    This was a charming and intoxicating story told through letters and telegrams. I loved it!

-    I had to get used to the letters format. There were times I just wanted to experience the story and not get a second hand account of what happened, but in the end I enjoyed the letters.

-    I liked that this portrayed the aftermath of WWII. It was hard for people to pick up the pieces and put their lives back together. For some, the war never really ended, and I really appreciated how the book portrayed that.

-    I loved the characters. Each one was a unique gem, and I grew to love all of them.

-    I liked that this had a little bit of mystery, a little bit of romance, and a lot of soul searching. 

-    I feel like I'm the last blogger to read this book. It had so much buzz, and I kept putting it off. Everyone was right! It lived up to the hype. 

No comments:

Post a Comment