Friday, February 3, 2023

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry



Author:  Fredrik Backman

Publisher:  Atria Books

Date Published:  June 15, 2015

Genre:  Fiction, Contemporary

Rating:  ⭐




My Thoughts:

-  Elsa is a very observant and wise child. Mentally, she is beyond her years. Elsa and her grandma are best friends, and grandma is full of moxie. They live in an apartment complex with a cast of unique and quirky characters. Grandma loves to tell Elsa stories about the Land of Almost Awake. Grandma sends Elsa on a quest, where she must deliver notes to different people in the building, but Elsa has to find the notes in a sort of treasure hunt. 

-  I adored this book! The characters are so well written and thought out. At first they don't seem important, or they are portrayed a certain way, but as the story unfolds, each character becomes endearing and relatable. 

-  It was interesting to read an adult fiction book from a child's perspective. There were some heavy subjects, and I enjoyed seeing them through Elsa's eyes.

-  Backman is a master storyteller. The way his stories unfold and connect is genius. I have loved every book of his that I've read. 

-  The emotions this story elicits were deep and heartfelt. I laughed out loud, I grieved, I was sad, angry, torn, melancholy, etc. In the end, I felt a hopeful joy. This was pretty much a perfect book for me. 

-  I read this for book club last month, and we had a very engaging discussion about various things. It was a lot of fun. 

My Thoughts in a GIF:

7 comments:

  1. I need to read more of Backman's backlist! He's such a wonderful author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's an author I really need to finally read this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I highly recommend moving him up on the TBR list. He is amazing!

      Delete
  3. I've heard lots of good things about this :"

    ReplyDelete