One Dead Spy tackles the story of Hale himself, who was an officer and spy for the American rebels during the Revolutionary War. Author Hale highlights the unusual, gruesome, and just plain unbelievable truth of historical Nathan Hale—from his early unlucky days at Yale to his later unlucky days as an officer—and America during the Revolutionary War.
- Wonderfully humorous and educational! Great for all ages! I would love to see history teachers use these Hazardous Tales in some of their lessons.
- The hangman is my favorite. I love how he is always thinking of a sandwich.
- I thought the whole story was very clever. Nathan Hale telling his story to the hangman and a redcoat is really fun, and it keeps things lighthearted.
- I loved how accurate the book was. It covered a lot of the Revolutionary War in very easy to understand segments. Of course the author took some liberties with things, but the overall story is correct.
- I love that the author is Nathan Hale, and the story is about Nathan Hale!
- The illustrations were wonderful. I loved the use of red highlights and black and white. I loved the facial expressions of the characters.
- Each frame was really fun, and I really liked the layouts for some pages.
- The little bits at the end were funny and fun.
- Great book!! I highly recommend it!