Thursday, August 21, 2014

Signed, Skye Harper

18631964Goodreads Synopsis:    In trying to reunite with her mother, Winston discovers the many meanings of family and finds friendship in an unexpected place in this coming-of-age novel from the author of Waiting, which Kirkus Reviews, in a starred review, called "exceptional" and Glimpse, which Booklist called "gripping."

Life is just fine for fourteen-year-old Winston. She loves her dog, Thelma, and although she never knew her dad, and her mom left ten years ago in search of Hollywood fame, Winston has family with Nanny, who is in her forties, and that doesn't even make her old. But a "just fine" life gets a lot more exciting when a letter arrives from Skye Harper, aka Judith Fletcher, aka Winston’s mother. She needs help, and Nanny says the best way to give it is to take a cross-country road trip—in a "borrowed" motor home—to go find Mama once and for all. Winston’s not so sure about this plan, but with a cute stowaway named Steve along for company and an adventure on the horizon, this is sure to be a summer to remember.

My Thoughts:

-    This was a cute and quick book.

-    I love how Carol plays with writing styles with each of her books. The short chapters are fun and more meaningful. Sometimes a few sentences builds more emotion than a whole chapter. 

-    I LOVE the dog and the rooster. I have no idea why they brought a rooster on a road trip, but it was awesome!

-    I don't know how I feel about Steve. He seems nice now, but I feel like he'll break Winston's heart later on.

-    Grandma is awesome! I loved her stern and quirky personality. 

-    There is a lot of talk about Winston's boobs. It got tiresome. I get it! You have big breasts!

-    I can't believe Winston likes to keep her bra in the freezer. That would be so awful to put on! I don't like wearing bras either, but it is embarrassing to not wear one.

-    I liked the ending. I knew what was coming, but I was surprised by the last letter Skye sent. It wasn't really a happy ending, but it was satisfactory. I felt peace for Winston and her Grandma in the end. 


2 comments:

  1. I STILL haven't read any Carol Lynch Williams. I need to correct that, and this seems like it might be a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest starting with The Chosen One! It is SO good!

      Delete