A long-dormant volcano explodes, blacking out the sun, mowing down trees, and filling the land with soot and ash. The Lord of the Locusts has been released. Against this apocalyptic backdrop, the Bone cousins along with Thorn and Gran'ma Ben struggle to reach safe haven in the city of Atheia.
Meanwhile, Lucius Downs lies severely wounded and trapped with the villagers in the camp at Old Man's Cave.
- I shouldn't have taken a break in between books. I don't remember what happened very well.
- Through all the doom and gloom, there is still humor, and the humor is what makes these books enjoyable.
- How does Thorn know so much all of a sudden? All of a sudden she has mystic powers and knows what is going on?
- Barttleby is back!! Yay!
- The story has turned darker. The Bone cousins keep some things light, but the story is darker.
- I'm still not understanding everything, but I'm hoping it comes together at the end.