Thursday, September 10, 2015

Talking Pictures: Images and Messages Rescued from the Past

11738906From Goodreads:    With the candid quirkiness of Awkward Family Photos and the confessional intimacy of PostSecret, Ransom Riggs's Talking Pictures is a haunting collection of antique found photographs—with evocative inscriptions that bring these lost personal moments to life—from the author of the New York Times bestselling illustrated novel Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Each image in Talking Pictures reveals a singular, frozen moment in a person's life, be it joyful, quiet, or steeped in sorrow. Yet the book's unique depth comes from the writing accompanying each photo: as with the caption revealing how one seemingly random snapshot of a dancing couple captured the first dance of their 40-year marriage, each successive inscription shines like a flashbulb illuminating a photograph's particular context and lighting up our connection to the past.

My Thoughts:

-    This book was fun, heart warming, hilarious, sad, and everything in between.

-    The photos were amazing! I loved each and every one. It was such a treat to be able to see some of Ransom's photo collection.

-    I loved his introduction and his closing. He almost convinced me that I need to print my photos. I liked learning how his strange collection started.

-    The notes added so much to the pictures! I can definitely see why Ransom Riggs favors the photos with writing.

-    Some of the comments were hilarious, some were thought provoking, and some were really mean! It was awesome!

-    This is a really fun and quick book to go through. I highly recommend it to people who enjoy photos and any Ransom Riggs fans.

3 comments:

  1. This does sound like a fun book to look at. I need to print my photos too, but I'm also in the process of trying to make all of my pictures digital, so I think that'll take precedence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a fan of the Peregrine books but I did love looking at the photos. It's so weird that they're real because of how strange they are. I might like this one of it's mostly just photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fun! And... you don't print photos? Print them!!!!

    ReplyDelete