Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Analyzing Aesop #1


I love Aesop's Fables, and I'm sure everyone knows at least one of them.  I love Aesop's use of animals and symbology.  I love the lessons he teaches through parables. 

I want to start a series of Analyzing Aesop blogs.  It will be loads of thought provoking fun!  I'm going to share one of his fables, and we're going to dissect it and find the meaning and lesson behind the parable.  I'm eager to read your response! 
Ready?



A hungry fox saw some fine bunches of grapes hanging from a vine that was trained along a high trellis and did his best to reach them by jumping as high as he could into the air.  But it was all in vain, for they were just out of reach.  So he gave up trying and walked away with an air of dignity and unconcern, remarking, "I thought those grapes were ripe, but I see now they are quite sour."


My Thoughts:

-    I feel like this Fox sometimes.  I want something really bad, but it is so far out of reach, so I just pretend I really don't want it or need it right now.

-    Why didn't the fox try climbing the tree?

-    Is this a healthy way of thinking?  Do we sometimes get lazy and talk our way out of things?  I think so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment