Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Percy Jackson's Greek Gods

19162613From Goodreads:    A publisher in New York asked me to write down what I know about the Greek gods, and I was like, Can we do this anonymously? Because I don't need the Olympians mad at me again. But if it helps you to know your Greek gods, and survive an encounter with them if they ever show up in your face, then I guess writing all this down will be my good deed for the week. 

So begins Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, in which the son of Poseidon adds his own magic--and sarcastic asides--to the classics. He explains how the world was created, then gives readers his personal take on a who's who of ancients, from Apollo to Zeus. Percy does not hold back. "If you like horror shows, blood baths, lying, stealing, backstabbing, and cannibalism, then read on, because it definitely was a Golden Age for all that."
Dramatic full-color illustrations throughout by Caldecott Honoree John Rocco make this volume--a must for home, library, and classroom shelves--as stunning as it is entertaining.

My Thoughts:

-    I really enjoyed this! I learned and laughed a lot.

-    I love that Rick Riordan made this companion book of the Greek myths. It is really fun to read about the Gods we've been getting to know from his other books. 

-    The God's stories are being told by Percy, and it really adds a lot of humor to the book. I love a lot of Percy's snide comments and modern references. 

-    Although I am familiar with a lot of these stories, I still learned a few things. I like how Percy made a disclaimer that there are a lot of variations on these myths, and he was telling the ones that made sense to him. 

-    I loved the beautiful/colorful illustrations throughout the book! I wish there had been more of them.

-    I like how the chapters or sections are each designated to a different God. I thought the book was very well planned and layed out. 

-    I wish I had had more time with this book. I had to rush through the last couple chapters to get it back to the library, sorry Dionysus. 

-    This is definite must have companion book for the Percy Jackson series! I can't wait to read the next book about Greek heroes. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book as well. Rick Riordan has a way of bringing mythology to life.

    ReplyDelete