In a magic kingdom where your name is your destiny, 12-year-old Rump is the butt of everyone's joke. But when he finds an old spinning wheel, his luck seems to change. Rump discovers he has a gift for spinning straw into gold. His best friend, Red Riding Hood, warns him that magic is dangerous, and she’s right. With each thread he spins, he weaves himself deeper into a curse.
To break the spell, Rump must go on a perilous quest, fighting off pixies, trolls, poison apples, and a wickedly foolish queen. The odds are against him, but with courage and friendship—and a cheeky sense of humor—he just might triumph in the end.
- I've really been enjoying the middle grade fairy tale retellings lately.
- This was a clever and humorous spin on Rumpelstiltskin. I liked it a lot.
- I love the idea of the power of names. I always have, and I love how this story intertwines destinies with names.
- There were some similarities between Rump and Once Upon a Time's Dark One. I wonder if one influenced the other.
- I was really intrigued with Red and her family. I hope there is a book about them sometime in the future.
- Very fun read! I highly recommend it!