Thursday, August 23, 2018

The Optimist's Guide to Letting Go

The Optimist's Guide to Letting GoGoodreads Synopsis:    Three generations. Seven days. One big secret. The author of The Coincidence of Coconut Cake unfolds a mother-daughter story told by three women whose time to reckon with a life-altering secret is running out.

Gina Zoberski wants to make it through one day without her fastidious mother, Lorraine, cataloguing all her faults, and her sullen teenage daughter, May, snubbing her. Too bad there’s no chance of that. Her relentlessly sunny disposition annoys them both, no matter how hard she tries. Instead, Gina finds order and comfort in obsessive list-making and her work at Grilled G’s, the gourmet grilled cheese food truck built by her late husband.

But when Lorraine suffers a sudden stroke, Gina stumbles upon a family secret Lorraine's kept hidden for forty years. In the face of her mother’s failing health and her daughter’s rebellion, this optimist might find that piecing together the truth is the push she needs to let go...


My Thoughts:

-    Reichert has written another lovely story. This one was different from her other books. It wasn't the warm and tender romance, but it was still a heart warming story full of love.

-    I love how the author incorporates food into her books. She makes common foods sound SO amazing! I want brownies and grilled cheese!

-    I liked that Reichert wrote something a little different. It was mostly sad, but it ended on a happy and hopeful note. 

-    I loved how each section had a chapter from each character. I liked getting the different generations' perspective. I also liked the flashbacks from Lorraine and Gina.

-    I loved Lorraine's and Gina's stories. I love how they met their husbands and how similar their stories were.

-    This is one of those stories that become the go to cozy books. 

-    I'm so glad I discovered this author last year, and I hope she keeps writing! 

1 comment:

  1. I know, right? I ended up making brownies after reading this one because I couldn’t get the thought out of my head!

    ReplyDelete