Monday, May 9, 2016

Memoirs of a Geisha

374147Goodreads Synopsis:    A literary sensation and runaway bestseller, this brilliant debut novel presents with seamless authenticity and exquisite lyricism the true confessions of one of Japan's most celebrated geisha.

In Memoirs of a Geisha, we enter a world where appearances are paramount; where a girl's virginity is auctioned to the highest bidder; where women are trained to beguile the most powerful men; and where love is scorned as illusion. It is a unique and triumphant work of fiction—at once romantic, erotic, suspenseful—and completely unforgettable.





My Thoughts:

-    The story was interesting, but it was very slow and some parts were boring. 

-    The MC would go on and on in these monologues about trivial things, and it got old.

-    For a book about a Geisha, I thought it was pretty clean. There were some uncomfortable moments, but overall it is fairly clean.

-    I thought the ending was a little convenient. It wrapped up all nice and happy, and it just didn't seem believable. 

-    I enjoyed reading about the Japanese customs and culture.

-    I enjoyed the first half of the book better than the second half. I got bored of the character and the writing.

-    I don't understand Sayuri's obsession with the Chairman. I understood her teenage crush/infatuation, but it should have worn off when she was 30. I felt like Sayuri never really matured or grew up. She didn't have the finesse and wisdom like Mameha, and I was expecting her to become more like Mameha. 

-    I'm glad I read this, but I probably wouldn't pick it up again. 

5 comments:

  1. Amen! I thought the ending was way too convenient and happy. It annoyed me! And, yeah, I didn't get her obsession either. It just didn't make sense and made the whole story unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still plugging along with this one. She's still only 9, so I kind of look forward to more going on, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you fit this one in! As you may (or may not) know, this one was a DNF for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this one quite a few years ago, but I do remember enjoying the vivid descriptions. It was a rather slow moving story. I do know that I didn't like the movie, it didn't hold up to the book for me.

    ReplyDelete