Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: Gilded #1
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Date Published: November 2, 2021
Genre: Young Adult, Retelling, Fantasy
- Once upon a time there was a miller's daughter, and she was cursed/marked by a god. The villagers stay away from her because wherever Serilda goes, misfortune isn't too far behind. BUT a small group of children feel differently, they love Serilda's gift of storytelling. One day Serilda's stories get her into trouble. During one of his fabled hunts, Serilda crosses paths with the Erlking. Serilda spins a tale about her abilities to spin straw into gold. And yes, you guessed it, she is now ensnared by the Erlking and must spin straw into gold. During her time in the cursed castle, Serilda uncovers secrets and meets a devilishly handsome poltergeist.
- I am on a Marissa Meyer reading kick right now. I love her books, especially her retellings. I cannot get enough of them. I loved how Meyer mixed Rumpelstiltskin and mythology. The stories were recognizable, but she also created something so unique and amazing.
- I loved Serilda's moxie and snark. She made me laugh on more than one occasion. She was also a little dense at times, but that is what makes for a good story. I also loved all the side characters. They were delightful, even the evil ones.
- The story gets a bit intense, and I couldn't believe what Meyer did to her characters! What!? Craziness!
- I'm sad I have to wait for November to find out the rest of the story! Gilded ends in a maddening cliffhanger. Gah!
- I kept going back and forth between 4 and 5 stars on this, so I think my true rating is 4.5 stars.
My Thoughts in GIFs: