Tuesday, June 6, 2017

The Willoughbys


2114086
From Goodreads:    Abandoned by their ill-humored parents to the care of an odious nanny, Tim, the twins, Barnaby A and Barnaby B, and their sister, Jane, attempt to fulfill their roles as good oldfashioned children. Following the models set in lauded tales from A Christmas Carol to Mary Poppins, the four Willoughbys hope to attain their proscribed happy ending too, or at least a satisfyingly maudlin one. However, it is an unquestionably ruthless act that sets in motion the transformations that lead to their salvation and to happy endings for not only the four children, but their nanny, an abandoned baby, a candy magnate, and his long-lost son too. Replete with a tongue-in-cheek glossary and bibliography, this hilarious and decidedly old-fashioned parody pays playful homage to classic works of children’s literature.


My Thoughts:

-    I wish I had read this when I was in middle school. I would have appreciated it more. As an adult, I was a little bored, but I still appreciate the story for what it is.

-    I loved all the book references. It was fun to see the parallels. 

-    The parents were complete idiots. Ugh! 

-    I loved the nanny. She was the best character in the book.

-    I didn't know Lois Lowry doodled. It was neat to see her own drawings in one of her books. I never would have guessed this author liked to draw. 

-    The story was cute, but this is definitely for a younger audience.

1 comment:

  1. That young feeling is why I struggle with MG. Way to stick to it though.

    ReplyDelete