Thursday, September 13, 2018

Before the Devil Breaks You

Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)
Goodreads Synopsis:    
New York City.
1927.
Lights are bright.
Jazz is king.
Parties are wild.
And the dead are coming...


After battling a supernatural sleeping sickness that early claimed two of their own, the Diviners have had enough of lies. They're more determined than ever to uncover the mystery behind their extraordinary powers, even as they face off against an all-new terror. Out on Ward's Island, far from the city's bustle, sits a mental hospital haunted by the lost souls of people long forgotten--ghosts who have unusual and dangerous ties to the man in the stovepipe hat, also known as the King of Crows.

With terrible accounts of murder and possession flooding in from all over, and New York City on the verge of panic, the Diviners must band together and brave the sinister ghosts invading the asylum, a fight that will bring them fact-to-face with the King of Crows. But as the explosive secrets of the past come to light, loyalties and friendships will be tested, love will hang in the balance, and the Diviners will question all that they've ever known. All the while, malevolent forces gather from every corner in a battle for the very soul of a nation--a fight that could claim the Diviners themselves.


My Thoughts:

-    This book didn't feel as long as the last book, but it was still a little long.

-    I like that the events from the previous books are all coming together in this third book, but I was hoping for a trilogy. I had no idea there was going to be a fourth book! I don't know if I will read it.

-    I don't care for the direction the story has taken. Some of the character's decisions bug me, and I don't like that all the adults are enemies. 

-    I have become attached to these characters, but I'm okay being done with them. I don't feel the need to see how their story turns out. It was nice knowing ya, but it is time to move on.

-    I am a little upset that explicit sex scenes were included in this book. All of a sudden, everyone is sleeping with someone. It is crazy! I don't need to know where hands are and what they are doing! I also don't think this material belongs in YA. 

-    I'm a little discouraged with Libba Bray's books. I can't seem to finish her series. I like them when I start them, but then I lose interest. 

-    Why don't any of the covers in the series match?

Previous Book in The Diviners' Series:

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was going to mention that you seem to like them at the beginning and then as the series goes on start disliking them. Maybe she needs to write standalones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad when an author can't maintain a series and finish it off in a way that satisfies. I had high hopes for this one, but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series (they are amazing on audio!), but yes, this book broke my heart with the actions of one character in particular. I'm thrilled there's going to be another book though! I am amazed at Bray's imagination. :) I don't know if I would love this series as much as I do if I'd read them in physical form, though. The great narration (and the fact that I listen at a faster speed) makes for a great experience.

    ReplyDelete