Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Gathering

7896345Goodreads Description:    Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.

Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.

In The Gathering New York Times best-selling author Kelley Armstrong brings all the supernatural thrills from her wildly successful Darkest Powers series to Darkness Rising, her scorching hot new trilogy.


My Thoughts:

-    I don't understand how the title connects with the story.

-    There was a lot of description about the town and the surrounding area in the beginning, and it was kinda boring. 

-    I almost quit reading, but there was enough there for me to keep going. I wanted to see if the story would get better, and it did. Most of the beginning is setup, but towards the end, things pick up a bit. 

-    I really like Rafe. I don't know why yet, but I like him. For some reason I kept picturing him as Bender from The Breakfast Club. 

-    Maya wasn't a strong female lead. She seemed kinda dull. I really want more depth to her character. I kinda wanted more depth to a lot of the characters.

-    There is a lot of mystery surrounding this little town and it's residents. I think a lot of the characters have secrets, and Maya isn't the only one trying to figure out who and what she is. 

-    The writing was easy to read, and things seemed to flow ok. I did get confused on who was saying what a couple times. 

-    The ending is a killer cliffhanger! I didn't feel like this was a complete book. It was missing a whole lot! I have a lot of questions, and not enough answers!

-    I'm really glad this trilogy is complete, so I don't have to wait to find out what the heck is going on. Hopefully the next books keep up the momentum with the story. I don't want another slow beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment