Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Seeking Persephone

5640523From Goodreads:    When Persephone Lancaster receives a marriage proposal from the ill-tempered Duke of Kielder, she refuses, and then reconsiders. The obscene sum of money he's offering Persephone would save her family from ruin. With her characteristic optimism, she travels to the far reaches of Northumberland to wed a greatly feared stranger. Lodged deep in a thick forest infested with wild dogs, the Duke's castle is as cold and forbidding as the Duke himself, a man with terrible scars on his body and his soul. But the Duke's steely determination to protect his heart at all costs is challenged by his growing attachment to his lovely and gentle bride. With caring persistence, Persephone attempts to pierce the Duke's armor and reach the man beneath. Yet he cannot tolerate such exposure, and his repeated rejections take their toll. But when grave danger arises, the Duke realizes he must face the risk of revealing his true feelings or lose the woman he cannot live without.

My Thoughts:

-    I liked this, but I like Julianne Donaldson's books a lot more. 

-    Sometimes the way the characters spoke didn't match the time period or setting.

-    This story was a lot like Beauty and the Beast. It could almost be called a retelling.

-    Adam is delusional. I don't understand why he keeps asking himself why he does things. It is like he has no control over what he does. He'll do something and then say, "Why did I do that? Something must have possessed me!" Dumb!

-    I liked how the perspective changed from Adam to Persephone. It was nice to get both sides of the story.

-    There wasn't a lot of tension. I love the romantic tension between the main characters in regency books, and this one didn't have that for me.

-    I really liked how Persephone's life paralleled the Persephone myth. That was kinda cool. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about liking Julianne Donaldson's books better. However, out of this one and the next one, Courting Miss Lancaster, I like the second one much better because I like Harry much better than Adam.

    ReplyDelete