Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Ban This Book

31702735Goodreads Synopsis:    An inspiring tale of a fourth-grader who fights back when her favorite book is banned from the school library--by starting her own illegal locker library!

It all started the day Amy Anne Ollinger tried to check out her favorite book in the whole world, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, from the school library. That's when Mrs. Jones, the librarian, told her the bad news: her favorite book was banned! All because a classmate's mom thought the book wasn't appropriate for kids to read.

Amy Anne decides to fight back by starting a secret banned books library out of her locker. Soon, she finds herself on the front line of an unexpected battle over book banning, censorship, and who has the right to decide what she and her fellow students can read.

Reminiscent of the classic novel Frindle by Andrew Clements for its inspiring message, Ban This Book is a love letter to the written word and its power to give kids a voice.

My Thoughts:

-    Wonderful!! Everyone should read this!

-    I loved Amy Anne! I could relate to her on several levels, and I admire her courage to take a stand for something that means so much to her. 

-    I loved the different messages of this book. Kids can make a difference, and I love how Amy Anne and her friends made a difference in their school. I loved the message of people can't tell other people what to read. 

-    I loved how simple and poignant the story was. The story could have gotten complicated with school politics and policies, but it didn't. It was very straightforward, and I loved the child like perspective. 

-    Great book!! I can't gush enough.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to read this one! This one sounds like it would be good. I hate when people tell others they can't read something because of various reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this one. It sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete