Saturday, January 27, 2018

The Story of Doctor Dolittle

673165From Goodreads:    Foreword by Patricia C. McKissack and Fredrick L. McKissack. Afterword by Peter Glassman.When a swallow arrives in Puddleby-on-the-Marsh with the news that the monkeys of Africa are ill and only the doctor who talks with animals can save them, Doctor Dolittle and such good friends as Jip, his loyal dog, and Dab-Dab, his housekeeper duck, face their greatest challenge. Together they must sail to Africa, battle a band of cutthroat pirates, flee across a gorge on a bridge made of acrobatic apes, and convince the king of the beasts that even he must help an animal in need. With nearly fifty full-page pictures from Michael Hague and the McKissacks artful reworking of the dilemma faced by Prince Bumpo, this treasured story is now available in a deluxe edition that all families will want to explore again and again.

My Thoughts:

-    This was a fun and short book. It is an older book, so I'm glad things got right to the point without all the fluff in between. 

-    I really enjoyed the characters, especially the animals. I also liked that the animals came up with solutions to problems, and that they weren't dumb animals. They had personalities and brains. 

-    I liked all the illustrations. They were fun.

-    This was a good intro into the series.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you read these classics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me think of the musical with what's his name from Sound of Music and My Fair Lady... Rex Harrison. Now, I have the main song stuck in my head. "If we could talk to the animals, just imagine it ... chatting to a chimp in Chimpanzee." I'm glad you liked the book.

    ReplyDelete