Wednesday, January 31, 2018

The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle

2145370Goodreads Synopsis:    Doctor John Dolittle, the veterinarian who can actually talk to animals, sets sail on the high seas for new adventures! Accompanied by his young friend Tommy Stubbins and the beloved animals of his household -- Polynesia the parrot, Jip the dog, and Chee-Chee the monkey -- the good doctor is off to forbidding Spider Monkey Island to examine the rare jabizri beetle. But the mysterious island holds another, darker secret: The famous Indian naturalist, Long Arrow, has mysteriously disappeared -- and Doctor Dolittle urgently needs to speak with him.

Doctor Dolittle and his friends brave a shipwreck, find the floating island, and meet the incredible Great Glass Sea Snail -- the keeper of the greatest mystery of all. This is the most popular of the twelve Doctor Dolittle novels. The next has been carefully edited for modern readers by renowned children's book authors Patricia and Fredrick McKissack. This new edition, featuring color illustrations by best-selling artist Michael Hague, is sure to bring a whole new generation under the spell of Doctor Dolittle and his animal friends.

My Thoughts:

-    This was my first Newberry Award Winner this year! Woo!

-    I really liked that the story was told from a little boy's perspective. I loved Tommy's fascination with everything going on around him.

-    The book was fun, but it was very dry. It held my interest, but you can tell it is an older book.

-    I liked all the different people and animals we meet throughout the story. 

-    I really like Doctor Dolittle. He is very kind and generous to everyone he meets. His courtesy extends to animals and humans no matter size, shape, color, etc. 

-    I won't be continuing with the series, but I'm glad I read the first two books. 

Previous Book

673165

4 comments:

  1. Did you give up on the series because it was too dry? Or just not enough interest in seeing what happens in the other books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are twelve books, and I just don't want to spend the time reading all of them. I've also heard the first two are the best anyway.

      Delete
  2. You’re so good at giving old classic series a shot.

    ReplyDelete