While the other girls in the walled city-state of Baalboden learn to sew and dance, Rachel Adams learns to track and hunt. While they bend like reeds to the will of their male Protectors, she uses hers for sparring practice.
When Rachel's father fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the city's brutal Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector: her father's apprentice, Logan—the boy she declared her love to and who turned her down two years before. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself.
As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.
- This book was one crazy adventure. Yeesh! The author packed so much into this one book.
- Terrible things kept happening to the main characters. I felt so bad for them.
- I kinda got tired of Logan getting the crap beat out of him though. I really don't think he would have been able to climb trees and fight off people when he had a broken rib and other severe injuries.
- I got tired of Logan and Rachel ogling each other. Ugh! Just kiss and get if over with!
- I can't decided if I like the characters or not. The story is really good, but the characters are eh.