Tuesday, January 10, 2023

In the Hall with the Knife


Author:  Diana Peterfreund

Series:  Clue Mystery #1

Publisher:  Harry N. Abrams

Date Published:  October 8, 2019

Genre:  Young Adult, Mystery

Rating:  ⭐



My Thoughts:

-    I love the Clue game and movie, so when I saw there were books based on the classic board game, I knew I had to read them.

-    The story takes place in an elite school called Blackbrook Academy. The students include a bunch of names you'll recognize, but the characters do not resemble their board game counterparts. The book includes some of the newer characters a.k.a. Orchid and Rusty. There are a couple of other people thrown in for fun.
      A terrible storm hits the campus, and most of the student body has gone, but the remaining students must take shelter on higher ground in the old Tudor mansion that is being used as a girl's dorm. Dun dun duuuuun! I think you know what happens next. 

-    I liked the liberties the author took with the characters. They were new yet familiar. 

-    The setting was perfect! I love the old Tudor Mansion from Clue, and when you add a thunderstorm, it is magical.

-    Sadly, the title gives away the what and where, so the reader has to figure out who. I was able to figure it out, but it was still fun to find out why and how. 

-    The book is a little slow, and there isn't a lot that happens. You mostly spend time getting to know the characters. I wish there had been more action and deaths.

-    Overall, it was an okay read. It isn't super memorable, but I'm glad I read the book. There are two more in the series, and I want to at least give #2 a try. 

My Thoughts in a GIF:

7 comments:

  1. I have always loved playing Clue, so I kind of want to check out this book just because of that. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are a Clue fan, I think it is worth the read.

      Delete
  2. Great review, Cami! It does sound like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, sorry I spelled your name wrong! I realized it as soon as I hit publish!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! No worries about the misspelled name. It happens.

      Delete