Monday, December 23, 2013

Mary Poppins

152380From Goodreads:    By P.L. Travers, the author featured in the upcoming movie Saving Mr. Banks.   From the moment Mary Poppins arrives at Number Seventeen Cherry-Tree Lane, everyday life at the Banks house is forever changed.

It all starts when Mary Poppins is blown by the east wind onto the doorstep of the Banks house. She becomes a most unusual nanny to Jane, Michael, and the twins. Who else but Mary Poppins can slide upbanisters, pull an entire armchair out of an empty carpetbag, and make a dose of medicine taste like delicious lime-juice cordial? A day with Mary Poppins is a day of magic and make-believe come to life!





My Thoughts:

-    I read this a long long time ago, and I didn't really remember any of this book! I'm glad I re-read it. 

-    This is a charming and magical story.

-    The movie isn't much like the book. There are a few things that are the same, but not much. 

-    I enjoy the proper snooty Julie Andrews version of Mary Poppins, but the actual character in the book is even more snooty. I don't understand why she always denied knowing about the little adventures the kids had.

-    Jane and Michael were a bit misbehaved, especially Michael. 

-    I liked all the fun "outings" and things the characters went on. Each one was unique and fun.

-    I really liked all the fun illustrations. I'm one of those that still enjoys some pictures in my books! 

-    I read this cause I'm excited to see Saving Mr. Banks! I wanted to know the book that Disney and Travers were debating about! From the trailer, I gathered that the book was more about the father, but Mr. Banks was hardly in the book at all. I wonder if he is in the sequels more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment