Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

29056083From Goodreads:    Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.


My Thoughts:

-    This is going to be a tough review to write! I'm not exactly sure how to portray my feelings.

-    I would definitely not consider this the 8th book in the series. I think they should have called it a companion book or just have it be associated with the Harry Potter line. It just doesn't fit in with the series. Let's just call it what it is! It's fan fiction! 

-    I've read several plays, and this was a poorly written play. It was disjointed and didn't flow very well. With the other plays I've read, it didn't take me long to get used to the format, and I didn't feel like I was reading a play. This really felt like I was trying to read a script. The second half is better than the first half.

-    One of my biggest complaints about the book was when it referenced scenes from previous Harry Potter books, mainly The Goblet of Fire, it didn't copy the story accurately. If you are going to copy lines out of another book, they need to be EXACTLY the same! You can't just change stuff!

-    My other big complaint was the characters. The play did NOT capture these beloved character's personalities very well. 

-    I really liked that the play started with the epilogue from Deathly Hallows.

-    I liked Albus and Scorpious's friendship. I always wanted Malfoy to get some sort of redemption, and I'm glad that past events didn't taint this new friendship.

-    I felt like the story wasn't thought out very well. Things kinda just happened, and the characters just "magically" made it through situations. (See what I did there?)

-    I didn't have very high expectations going in, so I wasn't really disappointed or impressed. It was pretty much what I thought it would be.

-    I like the book for what it is. If you think of it as fan-fic, it isn't too bad. I wouldn't buy the book. I wouldn't even pick it up if it was at a yard sale for a buck, but overall, it was alright. 

Image result for Hermione gif

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this one- I have been hesitant to buy it as some friends have said it was great. But since you are more of a reader with reviewing in mind- I appreciate the blunt truth and honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always count on me for bluntness with my book opinions. I'm glad I read it, even though it wasn't awesome.

      Delete
  2. The more reviews I see of this one the less I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I still wanted to read it though, so I could make my own opinion.

      Delete
  3. You didn't mention how it undid 7 books worth of worth-building!!! That's my biggest complaint! It's like the movies and how characters can do magic outside of school. It pisses me off!!! But, I think if I watched the play, then I could think of it differently than if I read it. It would just be "another" movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, you can't really think of the series and this as related. It just doesn't fit in.

      Delete
  4. I love your GIFs! I haven't read this yet. I really want to see the play first and experience the story in that medium first, but I'm struggling to wait since I know it's going to be a long time before I'll be able to see it. Knowing it's lacking Rowling's charm helps me turn it down though. Maybe the play will be better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree.... this book needed way more. I understand it's a play but more needed to be explained. I haven't read other plays so I really don't have other books to compare it to.

    ReplyDelete