Wednesday, November 24, 2021

I Am the Messenger

Title:
  I Am the Messenger

Author:  Markus Zusak

Date Published:  January 10, 2002

Genre:  Contemporary, New Adult

Rating:  ★★★








My Thoughts:

-    This was a re-read for me, but I only remembered a couple of things, so it was almost like reading it for the first time.

-    Ed Kennedy lives a pathetic and mediocre life. He lied about his age to become a cab driver, and he doesn't particularly like his job. He is in love with his best friend, but she doesn't want to be with him. His family gives him grief, and his friends are kind of jerks, but they grow on ya. Throughout the story Ed receives a series of playing cards with random info written on them. Ed has to find the person the card is directing him towards, figure out what they need, and help them. Some of them are easy, and some of them are scary hard. 

-    I love how much is packed into this one story. I love that the story helps readers realize that everyone has story. Everyone has struggles and stories to tell. It made me stop and think about all the people I pass throughout my day. What are their stories? I also love that Ed changes and becomes a better person because he is helping others. 

-    I love the Doorman. Ed's dog reminds me of my dog, and he is one of the most endearing pets I've ever come across in a book. 

-    The author breaks the 4th wall a couple of times. It is so random and weird, and I don't even know how to feel about it. 

-    Sometimes Ed comes across as a creeper. I get that he has to observe these people to help them, but sometimes he comes across as a creeper, especially when he keeps ogling all the girls. 

-    The book can be crude at times, but I think it is supposed to be crude on purpose. There is a point to it all, so I'm not sure if I like it or not. 

-    The ending! THE ENDING! WHAT!?

-    The writing is beautiful, and each word is so purposeful. Zusak is such a unique and lovely writer. There will never be another author like him. 


Content Warning:  Sexual Abuse, Violence, Language, Grief, Sexual Content

No comments:

Post a Comment