Thursday, January 14, 2016

Dracula

72485Goodreads Synopsis:    The most famous of seductive evil in Western Literature, blood-thirsty Count Dracula has inspired countless movies, books, and plays. But, few, if any, have been fully to Bram Stoker's best-selling novel of mystery and horror, love and death, sin and redemption.

Written in the form of letters and diary entries, Dracula chronicles the vampire's journey from his Transylvanian castle to the nighttime streets of London. There, he searches for the blood he needs to stay alive - the blood of strong men and beautiful women - while his enemies plot to rid the world of his frightful power.

In Dracula, Stoker created a new word for terror, a new myth to feed our nightmares, and a character who will undoubtedly outlive us all.


My Thoughts:

-    Haunting, creepy, and seductive! This book is definitely worth all the attention it has received.

-    They say there are two types of horror lovers. The vampire lovers and the monster lovers. I happen to be on team monster. I love Frankenstein and zombies! However, I did enjoy Dracula.

-    I didn't love any of the characters. They all seemed shallow and distant, and I thought some of things they did or missed was dumb. I did enjoy the predicaments and Gothic tones of the characters though.

-    The beginning of the novel really pulled me in. I loved the setting and intrigue. I liked the diary entries. I also liked the letters, and I thought the whole way this book was written was unique and fun. I got bored towards the end though. When they were looking for dirt and chasing Dracula around the country, I struggled to keep reading. I just wanted them to finally catch Dracula and kill him. Get it over with already!

-    I was bothered by a couple of the remarks made towards Mina. I'm not huge on the feminist bandwagon, but I was bugged that Van Helsing and others were impressed with Mina's mind. They referred to her as having a man's mind. Women are intelligent too Stoker! I get that this was written a long time ago, but it still bugged. I was also bugged that ALL the men were in love with Lucy and quickly turned around and fell in "love" with Mina. Get a grip dudes!

-    Overall, it was good. I would read it again, but probably not for a while. It is one of those books you have to be in the right mood for. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it. I really need to finish it. Stupid, reading slump got in the way last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I should have reread it but I wasn't feeling it. Frankenstein is better anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this too when I read it last year. I loved the settings and the mystery, but I agree that it drags a little towards the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that whole loving Mina's mind is just because of when the book was written. women weren't smart or whatever. I have always loved this book. It was so much better then I expect. I was so used to Stephen King or modern horror so I was pleasantly surprised!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this one for my book club a few years ago and I remember just wanting for it to be over near the end, too. And yeah, it bugs me when women are treated inferior, even when it was written a long time ago. Great review, Kami!

    ReplyDelete