Cora and Minnie are sisters living in a small, stifling town where strange and mysterious things occur. Their mother runs the local boarding house. Their father is gone. The woman up the hill may or may not be a witch.
Thomas and Charles are brothers who’ve been exiled to the boarding house so Thomas can tame his ways and Charles can fight an illness that is killing him with increasing speed. Their family history is one of sorrow and guilt. They think they can escape from it . . . but they can’t.
- I bought this on a whim, and I'm glad I did. I was at a Kiersten White event for a different book, but when I flipped through this and saw the pictures, I knew I had to buy it!
- The illustrations are stunningly beautiful but also very eerie. It is awesome but disturbing at times.
- The pictures and the text work together so well to create a very atmospheric and haunting tale.
- I really enjoyed the story that the illustrations told, and I kept trying to figure out how it tied in with the written story. All things were revealed at the end, and I felt like I had to go back and read this again. I didn't, but I definitely want to reread this again.
- The written story was intriguing and mysterious. I liked the characters, but I think there were too many of them. It didn't bug me, but I just thought they all weren't needed.
- This whole book is an amazing and unique work of art! I wish there were more books out there like this!