When Lucy Pickett arrives at Blackwell Manor to tend to her ailing cousin, Kate, she finds more than she bargained for. A restless ghost roams the hallways, werewolves have been reported in the area, and vampires lurk across the Scottish border. Lord Miles himself is clearly hiding a secret. He is brash and inhospitable, and does not take kindly to visitors—even one as smart and attractive as Miss Pickett. He is unsettled by the mysterious deaths of his new wife, Clara, and his sister, Marie. Working together, Miles and Lucy attempt to restore peace to Blackwell Manor. But can Lucy solve the mystery of Miles? Can she love the man—beast and all?
- This was more of a ghost and vampire steampunk romance than a Beauty and the Beast retelling.
- I'm not a big vampire fan, but this was alright. I enjoyed the mystery, and the vampires were the bad guys that were hunted, which is where they should be.
- The story starts out slow, but it picks up, and the ending is exciting.
- I can see the Jane Eyre elements, and I'm not a fan.
- I didn't care for Lord Blackwell too much, but I liked Lucy well enough.
- I loved the steampunk and gothic elements. They were fun.
- I think I liked this overall. I want to read the next book.