Wednesday, January 29, 2014

One Dead Spy

13591161From Goodreads:    Nathan Hale, the author’s historical namesake, was America’s first spy, a Revolutionary War hero who famously said “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country” before being hanged by the British. In the Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales series, author Nathan Hale channels his namesake to present history’s roughest, toughest, and craziest stories in the graphic novel format.

One Dead Spy tackles the story of Hale himself, who was an officer and spy for the American rebels during the Revolutionary War. Author Hale highlights the unusual, gruesome, and just plain unbelievable truth of historical Nathan Hale—from his early unlucky days at Yale to his later unlucky days as an officer—and America during the Revolutionary War.


My Thoughts:

-    Wonderfully humorous and educational! Great for all ages! I would love to see history teachers use these Hazardous Tales in some of their lessons.

-    The hangman is my favorite. I love how he is always thinking of a sandwich. 

-    I thought the whole story was very clever. Nathan Hale telling his story to the hangman and a redcoat is really fun, and it keeps things lighthearted.

-    I loved how accurate the book was. It covered a lot of the Revolutionary War in very easy to understand segments. Of course the author took some liberties with things, but the overall story is correct.

-    I love that the author is Nathan Hale, and the story is about Nathan Hale!

-    The illustrations were wonderful. I loved the use of red highlights and black and white. I loved the facial expressions of the characters. 

-    Each frame was really fun, and I really liked the layouts for some pages. 

-    The little bits at the end were funny and fun. 

-    Great book!! I highly recommend it!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds cute. I never quite get graphic novels but I keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you read a lot of graphic novels... here is another book challenge for you to try out: http://graphicnovelschallenge.blogspot.com/2013/11/graphic-novel-manga-challenge-2014-sign.html

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete