Monday, January 27, 2014

Antsy Does Time

3112309Goodreads Description:    Fueled by friendship and sympathy, Antsy Bonano signs a month of his life over to his ?dying? classmate Gunnar Umlaut. Soon everyone at school follows suit, giving new meaning to the idea of ?living on borrowed time.? But does Gunnar really have six months to live, or is news of his imminent death greatly exaggerated? When a family member suffers a heart attack after donating two years to Gunnar, Antsy wonders if he has tempted fate by playing God. Fans of ?the Schwa? will welcome favorite and new characters in this wholly fresh tale, which is as touchingly poignant as it is darkly comical.






My Thoughts:

-    When I first read the title, I thought Antsy was going to go to jail for defacing public property (a.k.a. writing "The Schwa Was Here" everywhere). Turns out I was completely wrong, and the title makes me laugh now.

-    These Antsy books are hilarious. There is so much great humor, but the story is also serious and solemn at times. The author does a wonderful job combining funny with sad.

-    The chapter titles are awesome! They make absolutely no sense, but then after you've read the chapter, the light bulb clicks on.

-    Antsy is such a good guy. He does dumb things like the average boy, but overall his heart is in the right place.

-    Antsy reminds me of a more mature Greg from The Wimpy Kid Diaries. 

-    I love the way Antsy thinks. The way he views things is so hilarious. For example, here is a clip from pg 107. Antsy's brother Frankie is talking about lottery tickets:    "Do you know scientists have determined that you're more likely to get struck by lightning five times than win?" Which makes me wonder if some poor slob gets his fifth lightning strike every time someone wins the lottery, and how badly do you have to piss off God to be that guy?

Funny right?

-    I also love the part where Antsy explains the stages of grief by using the death of a pet goldfish! ha ha ha! 

-    The story has some good high quality messages. I really loved the ending. There are a few things that the characters learn that I really love. 

-    I enjoyed the first book in this series, but I think I liked this one a little more. They're all good though.


Previous Book:
(cover is linked)

No comments:

Post a Comment