Thursday, November 17, 2022

The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein


Author:  Kiersten White

Publisher:  Delacorte Press

Date Published:  September 25, 2018

Genre:  Young Adult, Horror

Rating:  ⭐⭐⭐




My Thoughts:

-    4.5 stars

-    As a child, Elizabeth was abused and neglected. A lady offers to free her from her situation if she can be a good companion for her son. Victor is an odd boy who can become dangerous if his temper isn't kept in check. Elizabeth decides that she can become whatever Victor needs to calm his moods. Over the years, Elizabeth settles into her role as Victor's "cousin" and constant companion, until he goes to school and no one hears from him for a while. Elizabeth is scared the Frankensteins will kick her out if she doesn't prove her usefulness, so she travels to London in search of Victor. 

-    I read this back in October as one of my spooky reads, and I can't stop thinking about it. To me, it was almost a perfect book. 

-    Kiersten's retelling is hauntingly tragic and really captures the mood of the original story. Knowing what is happening behind the scenes does not detract from the story, in fact, it makes Elizabeth's story even more compelling. 

-    I loved the theme of not letting people around us define our value. I loved the author's note at the end, and why she wrote this book. It was a wonderful tribute to Mary Shelley. 

-    I have mixed feelings about a couple things at the end of the story, but overall I loved it. 


My Thoughts in a GIF:

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of seeing Frankenstein's story through Elizabeth's eyes. I'm definitely putting this one on my "read soon" list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is such a unique take on Frankenstien!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really is a unique book. I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow I want to read this now. and Kiersten White too- have been meaning to try her books!

    Love that GIF :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Kiersten is a hit or miss for me. I either love her books, or they are kinda disappointing, but she definitely has some great ones.

      Delete