Monday, August 5, 2013

Story of a Girl

Story of a GirlGoodreads Synopsis:    When she is caught in the backseat of a car with her older brother's best friend--Deanna Lambert's teenage life is changed forever. Struggling to overcome the lasting repercussions and the stifling role of "school slut," she longs to escape a life defined by her past. With subtle grace, complicated wisdom and striking emotion, Story of a Girl reminds us of our human capacity for resilience, epiphany and redemption.









My Thoughts:

-    This was a pretty depressing book! I blame a lot of it on the main character. Deanna made a lot of stupid choices, and while I kind of felt sorry for her, I thought she brought a lot of it upon herself.

-    Deanna's dad was JERK!! He has serious issues and should get counseling. 

-    There is a lot of heavy language in this book. There were a lot of f-bombs and other uncomfortable words. There was also a lot of talk about sex. I wish a lot this had been cut down. I don't think the language was needed, especially for the target audience of this book. 

-    I felt like the whole story didn't go anywhere. It was just a piece of this girl's life and there was no conclusion. I don't feel like things got better. She resolved one or two things in her life, but overall, not a lot changed.

-    I feel grateful for the family I have! 

-    Most of the boys in the book were perverts! I can't believe other people didn't step in to help Deanna when boys were being mean to her. 

-    I've heard a lot of people rave about Sara Zarr's books, but I haven't really enjoyed the 2 I've read. I'm not giving up though, so hopefully I find one I like.



2 comments:

  1. This is the only Sara Zarr book I haven't read. It's funny because I usually love her books but I've always been afraid this one would be too dark for me. Sorry it didn't work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, not my cup of tea, but a well done review, none the less.

    ReplyDelete