Friday, August 9, 2013

The Secret of Shadow Ranch

The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)Goodreads Synopsis:    Nancy Drew arrives in Phoenix, Arizona, eagerly looking forward to a fun-filled vacation at Shadow Ranch, but abruptly finds herself involved in a baffling mystery. The ranch is being haunted by a phantom horse and maliciously damaged by an unknown enemy. Local people believe that the ghostly animal is carrying out the curse of Dirk Valentine, the romantic outlaw who was killed many years ago at Shadow Ranch, where he had gone to fulfill a promise to his sweetheart.Suspecting that a treasure hidden by Valentine may be at the root of the Shadow Ranch mystery, Nancy undertakes a challenging search, aided by her friends Bess Marvin and George Fayne. The first vital clue is found in an antique watch and sparks a series of clever deductions and dangerous developments. While seeking further clues, the girls' investigation in a ghost town ends in near disaster when Nancy is trapped inside a building that is toppled by a rockslide -- a rockslide which is deliberately caused. But the pretty titian-haired detective remains undaunted in her determination to solve the mystery.

For those who enjoy a suspenseful thriller, Nancy Drew's first Western adventure makes a great listen.

My Thoughts:

-    Another fun and satisfying Nancy Drew mystery!

-    I like that Nancy Drew went all western in this story. It was a western treasure hunt! Great stuff! I love that each Nancy Drew is so different and unique. The hunt for an outlaw's treasure was cool, and I wish there had been more back story on Valentine. 

-    A girl named George?

-    Nancy knows a lot of people! She has friends everywhere! I guess it is no surprise. She is very polite and kind, and I would like to be her friend.

-    I feel like a character is more heroic and macho when they are on a horse. It might be just me, but I liked that Nancy was an experienced rider.

-    The phantom horse was a fun element to the mystery, and I liked how Nancy and Chief figured out how the phantom horse thing was pulled off. 

-    Nancy is so clever and lucky! She can put clues together, and determine what others will do, and I also think she is incredibly lucky!

-    When reading these books, you can't let your eyes glaze over or zone out. Things happen fast, and I sometimes had to go back and read a couple paragraphs. Some important event will occur, and it takes place in one or two paragraphs. The story moves fast! I like that there is no fluff.

Previous Nancy Drew Book
(Click on cover to see my thoughts)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment