Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Golden Son

Golden Son (Red Rising Trilogy, #2)From the Dust Jacket:    As a Red, Darrow grew up working the mines deep beneath the surface of Mars, enduring the backbreaking labor while dreaming of the better future he was building for his descendants. But the Society he faithfully served was built on lies. Darrow's kind have been betrayed and denied by their elitists masters, the Golds - and their only path to liberation is revolution. And so Darrow sacrifices himself in the name of the greater good for which Eo, his true love and inspiration, laid down her own life. He becomes a Gold, infiltrating their privileged realm so that he can destroy it from within.

A lamb among wolves in a cruel world, Darrow finds friendship, respect, and even love - but also the wrath of powerful rivals. To wage and win the war that will change humankind's destiny, Darrow must confront the treachery arrayed against him, overcome his all-too-human desire for retribution - and strive not for violent revolt but a hopeful rebirth. Though the road ahead is fraught with danger and deceit, Darrow must choose to follow Eo's principles of love and justice to free his people.

He must live for more.

My Thoughts:

-    Holy cow! These books are awesome! So many feels! This first book was awesome, and the story just keeps growing an evolving into something even more.

-    The politics in this book is crazy! Everything is so intricate and could fall apart at any moment. The politics were a little overwhelming at times, but it was vital to the story.

-    I'm not sure if I like how Darrow's character has changed or not. He is under some serious pressure from all sides, and I'm not sure all of his decisions were good ones.

-    There are some blow your mind revelations in this book.

-    These books aren't for everyone. It gets very violent. People die! People I care about die, and it isn't pretty! There is a lot of sexual banter/language/references that I could have lived without.

-    I don't know who to trust!! The betrayals left me wounded. Darrow made some majorly good and bad choices that gained him strong allies but also strong enemies. I wasn't sure who was going to stand by him and who was going to stab him in the back (literally and figuratively).

-    The ending!!!! GAH! I HATE cliffhangers like this!! This ending left me feeling hopeless and bleeding! Oh my heck! WHY!?!?

-    Next book please!?!?!? NOW!

7 comments:

  1. THAT ENDING ABOUT KILLED ME. It's going to be a looooong wait until January. One betrayal in particular was really hard for me to swallow. (Don't want to mention it in case it's spoilerly for anyone else reading, but it's in the last chapter. I'm sure you know who I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know who you mean! It broke my heart! I was hoping he and Darrow would patch things up.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. I finally gave up on the first one. I feel bad like maybe I'm just missing the point of these books. Oh well. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sorry about the ending. I hate when books leave you screaming for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! I love your gif. I can only imagine what happens. I guess I need to read these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if anyone could imagine this ending! GAH!

      Delete
  4. I just started Red Rising and it's looking good!

    ReplyDelete