Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Cold as Ice

Cold As Ice (Whatever After #6)Goodreads Says:    The magical sixth installment in this NEW YORK TIMES bestselling series!

Brrrrrrrr. This fairy tale is FREEZING!

Even though my brother and I had decided to stay away from the magic mirror, our puppy had other plans -- he bounded right in. What choice did we have but to go in after him? 

When we land in a winter wonderland, we realize we must be in the story of The Snow Queen. And this fairy tale is nothing like the movie. This Snow Queen is super-mean, and she turns our dog into an ice sculpture!

To get home we'll have to: 
- Defrost our furry friend
- Ride a very chatty reindeer
- Learn to ice-skate
- Escape from a band of robbers

And if we're not careful . . . we could end up frozen ourselves!


My Thoughts:

-    I thought Beauty and the Beast was supposed to be next? I guess Frozen/The Snow Queen was too much to resist writing about.

-    I'm glad the fairy tale twists are based on the original fairy tales and not Disney's version.

-    As usual, this was cute, fun, and humorous. This was a clever twist on The Snow Queen, and I'm sure my daughter will enjoy this.

-    I love that Abbey admitted to being bossy! I complained about that in the last book, and she fessed up to it. Abbey is definitely improving in that department.

-    I liked the Frozen references, and I liked that Abbey and Jonah realize and acknowledge the differences in the Frozen and the original story.

-    I love that the goal in this story was to save the dog! 

-    I think I keep reading these because the characters are endearing, the lessons are good ones, and I find these a light, fun, and cute read.

-    I wonder what will happen in the next books, the ending had a little twist/surprise, and I'm not sure how this will play out. The fairy in the mirror intrigues me. I want to meet her! What is her plan for Abbey and Jonah?

Previous Whatever After Books
(covers are linked to my thoughts)

13547802 14759306 16043628
17981403 18527499

2 comments:

  1. You're seriously making me want to read these. I love that they stick to the original fairytales. Disney is fine but they sure do put their own spin on the classics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This series looks really cute! I have a younger sister, who's 10, and she just finished reading Shannon Hale's Ever After High series, which she loved. I've been looking for another series like that one for her to try. I'll definitely get the first book in this series & she if she likes it!

    ReplyDelete