Monday, September 26, 2016

A Great and Terrible Beauty

304306Goodreads Synopsis:    It's 1895 and, after the death of her mother, 16-year-old Gemma Doyle is shipped from the she knows in India to Spence, a proper boarding school in England. Lonely, guilt-ridden, and prone to visions of the future that have an uncomfortable habit of coming true. Gemma finds he reception a chilly one. She's not completely alone, though... she's being followed by a mysterious young man, sent to warn her to close her mind against the visions. 

It's at Spence that Gemma's power to attract the supernatural unfolds as she becomes entangled with the school's most powerful girls and discovers her mother's connection to a shadowy, timeless group called The Order. Her destiny awaits... if only Gemma can believe in it.



My Thoughts:

-    There were some slow moments throughout the book, especially in the beginning, but I still enjoyed it, and the story and characters kept me interested.

-    There were elements of A Little Princess and Dead Poet's Society which I really liked. 

-    At first the main girls weren't very interesting to me, but as I got to know them they really grew on me. I really like how each girl has her own flaws and qualities. 

-    The story wasn't what I was expecting at all. I didn't know there would be magic, and I really enjoyed it. 

-    The setting was wonderful. It was so vivid and real. Libba did some great world building.

-    I don't understand Kartik's purpose. I'm guessing the gypsies have a bigger role to play, and I hope I get to see more of that in the next book.

-    I'm hoping the next book picks up the pace a bit, and I'm excited to read it. 

8 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this series for a long time. I'm glad to hear your enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you've read these. Aren't you a big Libba fan? I think you'd like it.

      Delete
    2. I've read one book by her--The Diviners--and I liked it a lot. So, I'm a fan in that sense.

      Delete
    3. Cool. I want to read that eventually too.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying this series. I liked the second book best. I wonder what you'll think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to hear. I hope I keep enjoying the series.

      Delete
  3. I remember reading this but I don't remember anything about it. That's not a good thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read two Libba Bray books and didn't really like them. BUT I have heard good things about this book. So I just don't know if I should pick it up or not.

    ReplyDelete