Thursday, September 29, 2016

Still Alice

23280232Goodreads Synopsis:    Alice Howland is proud of the life she worked so hard to build. At fifty years old, she’s a cognitive psychology professor at Harvard and a world-renowned expert in linguistics with a successful husband and three grown children. When she becomes increasingly disoriented and forgetful, a tragic diagnosis changes her life--and her relationship with her family and the world--forever.

At once beautiful and terrifying, Still Alice is a moving and vivid depiction of life with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease that is as compelling as A Beautiful Mind and as unforgettable as Judith Guest's Ordinary People.







My Thoughts:

-    Wow! I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. I thought for sure I wasn't going to like it, but I ended up liking it a lot. 

-    I loved that this was written from Alice's perspective. I was completely immersed in her story and struggles.

-    There were a few F-bombs that I didn't appreciate, but I think that was the only issue I had with the book.

-    No one close to me has experienced Alzheimer's disease, so I haven't thought about it much. I knew it was a horrible disease and what it did to people, but this book brought a lot of emotion and reality to the disease for me. It helped me understand how awful going through something like this can really be, and I love that about reading and books.

-    When I get immersed in a book, I think about it when I'm not reading, and it finds ways to effect my normal life. I panicked when I forgot something, and I started noticing how much I rely on my planner, Google calendar, and my phone. I started worrying about forgetting my daughter's names, and what will happen to me when I get older. I want to cling on to little moments more.

-    The writing was great! I didn't feel like I was reading at all. I was just absorbed into the story.

-    The copy I read had the movie cover, and I hate movie covers! Why do they even make these? Who buys them?

-    Great book! I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm really glad my book club chose this.

11 comments:

  1. I am glad this is good. I have to check out at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one, but you've definitely intrigued me! I agree on the movie cover thing. Ugh. Seriously, it's the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you ended up liking this. It was very engrossing, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So engrossing! Even when I wasn't reading, I was thinking about it.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you enjoyed it! It just really hits home with the reality of how Alzheimer's progresses, someone doesn't just wake up not remember things but has to struggle with knowing they are forgetting something or at a loss for a word. I read this at the beginning of last year and it still sticks with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love books that linger and make big impressions.

      Delete
  5. I thought the same thing. I thought I'd hate it, but I ended up liking it. I'm glad you did too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish I hadn't missed book club for this one. I imagine it was a great discussion.

      Delete
  6. I've considered reading this book, but I hesitate. A loved one was just diagnosed with a form a dementia less than a year ago, so I worry that it will hit too close to home for me right now.

    ReplyDelete