Goodreads Bit: You know your life is bad when you miss your days as a poison taster...
With her greatest enemy dead, and on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago, Yelena should be pleased. But though she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways—and her newfound friends and relatives don't think it's for the better...
Despite the turmoil, she's eager to start her magic training—especially as she's been given one year to harness her power or be put to death. But her plans take a radical turn when she becomes involved with a plot to reclaim Ixia's throne for a lost prince—and gets entangled in powerful rivalries with her fellow magicians.
If that wasn't bad enough, it appears her brother would love to see her dead. Luckily, Yelena has some old friends to help her with all her new enemies...
- I really enjoyed how the author reunited Yelena with her family. I thought it was pretty realistic. It would be hard and awkward. I think a lot of siblings would react like Leif, but I know others wouldn't. I think I would be very awkward about seeing a sibling after many years. I hope I would try to make friends, but it is one of those things that you just don't know how you'll react until your in the situation.
- I hate Cahil!!! What a wannabe!!! He is such a dork! How dare he move in on Valek's woman!! He is like a little boy. He has some serious growing up to do.
- The romance was a little more mushy in this one. Obviously Yelena misses Valek, and obviously, it would be hard to be apart. I can't say I don't like it cause I would probably be the same way, but it wasn't as sigh worthy as the relationship in Poison Study.
- The whole commander thing makes a lot more sense in this one. We get to find out a little more, and it was like a light bulb went off in my head.
- Sitia is a very different place than Ixia, and Yelena is more dedicated and gutsy than I am. I would turn tale an run straight back to Ixia at the first chance I had. I like the contrast in the two countries though, and I think Sitia is a great country for "magical people".
- I wish I could talk to horses. I wonder what my name would be.
- I love the banter between Ari and Janco. I just can't get enough of them!! They make me laugh.
- This one was very thrilling. There was a lot going on, and Yelena was tested at every turn. I'm glad Valek, Ari, and Janco made appearances. I liked Poison Study a teeny bit better, but this was still great! Never a dull moment in Yelena's life!