Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Heartless

18584855
Goodreads Synopsis:    Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.

At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.

Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.



Book Trailer:

My Thoughts:

-    I didn't love this as much as The Lunar Chronicles, but it was still good.

-    The ending is predictable, but I think it is meant to be. Even though I knew what Cath's fate was, I enjoyed the journey. 

-    I never fully trusted Jest. I wanted to love him, but I just couldn't. I wish he had been a more swoon worthy guy. I always felt like his ulterior motives were hanging over his and Cath's relationship. I just couldn't get behind this romance. In fact, I felt a little sorry for the king the whole time. At least his intentions were honorable and true, even though he was an idiot.

-    The story was pretty slow in the middle. I feel like 100 pages could have been edited out.

-    This book made me crave baked goods really bad! I recommend having lemon tarts, cookies, cupcakes, and macarons on hand while reading. 

-    The ending was very captivating and a lot was going on. I really enjoyed the last few chapters. It was everything I hoped for.

3 comments:

  1. When I read this I wanted sweets too! I enjoyed this book but like the Lunar Chronicles better too. I'd like to read a story about Alice now written by Meyer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this read this one though I'm sad to hear it wasn't as good as The Lunar Chronicles. I'm probably going to gain 10 pounds reading it. Sigh! Maybe some almond croissants on hand would be wise???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you still liked this even though you didn't like it as much as the Lunar Chronicles. Since I haven't read either, I can't compare, lol.

    ReplyDelete