Friday, January 28, 2022

Call Us What We Carry


Title:
  Call Us What We Carry

Author:  Amanda Gorman

Publisher:  Viking

Date Published:  December 7, 2021

Genre:  Poetry

Rating:  ⭐⭐⭐⭐





My Thoughts:

-    There were two very distinct things that captivated me from President Biden's inauguration. Amanda Gorman and her poem were mesmerizing. I loved it, and I knew I had to read more from Gorman. Sadly, I had to wait a while for her book. The second thing was Bernie Mittens. It tickles my funny bone just right, and I love it. 

-    The poems touched on a lot of current events: COVID, racism, politics, etc. The poems were so raw and honest. I loved Gorman's take on things, and her words of hope and moving forward. 

-    Gorman's writing is masterful. Her word choice and cadence are . . . beautiful, unique, thought-provoking, indescribable. It is hard for me to put my thoughts and opinions in words. I feel like there isn't a word that truly justifies how good her writing is. 

-    Not all of the poems moved me, but a lot of them did. They touched my heart and soul, and I felt her words. I had physical reactions like goosebumps and butterflies. The book was a real experience for me. 

-    I cannot gush enough about this book. I love Gorman's work, and I love her story. Go read it! 


My Thoughts in a GIF:


P.S. In case you missed Amanda Gorman's poem and Bernie Mittens, here are some videos for you.


4 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book. I loved her poem at the inauguration as well. I liked it because of how she read it. I think I'd like her book as an audio book if she were reading it. I'll have to look in to it. I'm not the best at poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her poetry isn't hard to read, and there are a lot of really cool visual things she does with words, so I'd recommend the physical book.

      Delete
  2. I don't read nearly enough poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read a ton of poetry, but I loved this book. I love books in verse, but I don't think they are considered poetry.

      Delete