Friday, March 15, 2013

Out of the Easy

Out of The EasyGoodreads Description:    It’s 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. She devises a plan get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street.

Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.

With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny.

My Thoughts:

-    This was a very beautiful story, and I've really come to respect Ruta Sepetys as an author and story teller! She has really found her voice, and it is a somber yet beautiful one.

-    Willie and Cokie have quickly climbed the ladder on my favorite literature character list. They are right up there with Hans Hubermman from The Book Thief. Willie was such a strong and wonderful character. She was someone you could be scared of, respect, and tell all your secrets to. Cokie really stole my heart! He was so compassionate and selfless. I just smiled from ear to ear whenever he gave a present to Josie.

-    Josie's mom was...there are no words to describe a low life like her! I hope she gets shot! What a horrible horrible woman! Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have children!

-    The story was so breath taking and touching, but it was also horrible. It was like my heart was ripped out, stomped on, and healed by love. There are some serious emotions in this book.

-    Yes, I cried like baby at the end. The ending is just so sad and happy and I couldn't stop the tears.

-    I hope that the world and people could learn from history and past mistakes, but I know I'm just dreaming. Still, I wish that situations like these could be scenes from the past, and the world could become a better place where no one would have to face fears like this. 

-    I feel like my words don't do this book justice. You are just going to have to read it for yourself to understand how amazing this story is!

No comments:

Post a Comment