Saturday, March 16, 2013

Requiem

Requiem (Delirium, #3)From Goodreads:    They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.

My Thoughts;

-    I'm really disappointed. Delirium was so fantastic, and then it quickly went downhill. 

-    I'm confused. I don't really think this ended.

-    I like that we got Hana's perspective. She was a wonderful character in Delirium, and it was interesting to see what happened to her. I also liked that we got to get inside the head of a "cured" person.

-    There was some heavy swearing now and then. It wasn't frequent, but there were f-bombs.

-    The love triangle sucks! I really hated this one!

-    Lena was a real cry baby in this book, and it was so backwards from her character development. She can kick butt in a fight and lead a squadron, but she cries over everything! It was annoying.

-    The ending is really lame! I feel like the ending cut off in the middle. The resistance takes over one town, but what about the government? They didn't make a lasting difference by taking out one town! 

-    There were a lot of loose ends. What happened to Hana? Did Lena choose Alex? Did they win the battle after they tore the wall down? Did Fred die? I have a lot of questions!

-    I understand that the author was challenging herself by changing up the writing style and stuff for the books, but I really loved the first book. I loved the bits of The Book of Shh at the beginning of each chapter, and I liked Lena a lot. This last book was better than Pandamonium, but I wish Oliver had tried different writings styles on different books. 

-    By the end, I kind of just wanted everyone to die. If they just went down heroically, it would have been ok with me. 


Previous Books in the Delirium Trilogy(click on the cover to see my thoughts)

Delirium (Delirium, #1) Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)

1 comment:

  1. I still haven't read the first one. I think when I do I'll just stop after that one. Too many people have said the rest of the series were no good.

    ReplyDelete