Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Princess Diaries

568617Goodreads Says:    She's just a New York City girl living with her artist mom...

News Flash: Dad is prince of Genovia. (So that's why a limo meets her at the airport!)

Downer: Dad can't have any more kids. (So no heir to the throne.)

Shock of the Century: Like it or not, Mia Thermopolis is prime princess material.

Mia must take princess lessons from her dreaded grandmére, the dowager princess of Genovia, who thinks Mia has a thing or two to learn before she steps up to the throne.

Well, her father can lecture her until he's royal-blue in the face about her princessly duty--no way is she moving to Genovia and leaving Manhattan behind. But what's a girl to do when her name is Princess Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo?


My Thoughts:

-    I read this series before I started blogging, and apparently I wrote a review on Goodreads after finishing this book. Here is what I wrote:

I have to admit that the Princess Diaries series is my guilty pleasure. I usually despise stuff like this, but something about the books makes me want to keep reading.

The characters MAKE this book. Mia is a comical teenager with a lot of teenager worries and problems, plus the added stress of being a princess. I think Mia is a very lovable character, and I think a lot of girls can relate her in some way. I liked seeing her develop some backbone in the book, and how she became more assertive. I also like all the sub-characters. Lily can sometimes get on my nerves, but she is a good friend. 

Even though this is written in a diary form, I don't think it takes away from the story at all. I actually really enjoy Meg Cabot's style. It's fun and easy to read. 

There are a few things that I don't think are appropriate for the target age group, but overall it's a fun book. 

-    I've wanted to re-read the series cause I remember liking them a lot, but now I wonder why I liked it so much. It isn't that great.

-    Mia is a spaz! She freaks out over everything, and it's like it is the end of the world. I just want to yell "CHILL OUT!" at her.

-    Lilly is also a spaz, but in a different way. I don't really like her. 

-    Tina is probably my favorite out of Mia's friends. She seems a lot nicer.

-    I still think there is inappropriate material for the target audience. I don't see teens really reading this. I think twelve year old girls are more the target cause Mia is only 14. I wish Mia was at least 16 and a little more mature.

-    There are a lot of deity swears, but nothing else major as far as language.

-    This is first time I've felt this way about a YA book, but I think this is just too young for me. I found it pretty immature and silly.

-    Despite all the complaints, there were still some fun moments in the book and I'm going to continue the series. 

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with everything you said here. I feel like this series, or at least this book, has a very limited audience and is difficult to enjoy as an adult. I don't think I said in my review how much I prefer Tina over Lilly, who I find to be horribly judgmental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I've never read this series and I think I'm too old to read it now. I'm still tempted though. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the first book in this series after watching the movie. My reaction was similar to yours. It was kind of fun, but sometimes the characters got on my nerves. It'll be interesting to see what you think of the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you see there is supposed to be a Princess Diaries 3 (movie). I have always wanted to read this book since I love the movie so much. Though you make it sound a little like she is an annoying teen. We'll have to see!

    ReplyDelete