Monday, October 5, 2015

Shutter

20757532Goodreads Synopsis:    Horror has a new name: introducing Courtney Alameda.

Micheline Helsing is a tetrachromat—a girl who sees the auras of the undead in a prismatic spectrum. As one of the last descendants of the Van Helsing lineage, she has trained since childhood to destroy monsters both corporeal and spiritual: the corporeal undead go down by the bullet, the spiritual undead by the lens. With an analog SLR camera as her best weapon, Micheline exorcises ghosts by capturing their spiritual energy on film. She's aided by her crew: Oliver, a techno-whiz and the boy who developed her camera's technology; Jude, who can predict death; and Ryder, the boy Micheline has known and loved forever.

When a routine ghost hunt goes awry, Micheline and the boys are infected with a curse known as a soulchain. As the ghostly chains spread through their bodies, Micheline learns that if she doesn't exorcise her entity in seven days or less, she and her friends will die. Now pursued as a renegade agent by her monster-hunting father, Leonard Helsing, she must track and destroy an entity more powerful than anything she's faced before . . . or die trying.

Lock, stock, and lens, she’s in for one hell of a week.


My Thoughts:

-    Courtney said her book was like a video game, and she wasn't joking! There is even an epic boss fight at the end. 

-    I really enjoyed this story. It was super awesome and creepy! 

-    This is a must read for Fatal Frame fans!

-    The story is very fast paced. There really isn't a moment for the characters to stop and breathe. It is just go go go! And you never know what horror the gang in going to run into next.

-    The characters are all amazing! I loved Micheline and her crew. 

-    The romance was great. There was just enough to keep a reader happy, but it didn't overpower the meat of the story.

-    I don't know how Micheline stays sane after everything she goes through. Anyone else would need major therapy and pills. 

-    I loved how the Van Helsing and Stoker lines were part of the characters. It added a lot of nostalgia and fun. 

-    I've been looking forward to Courtney's book for a long time, and she didn't disappoint. I may be biased, but this one is a keeper!


4 comments:

  1. I read the first few chapters in August but never managed to finish it. I was liking it ok, but just wasn't feeling it. I'll have to return to it later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! I was hoping you would! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book as well. I can't wait to see what Courtney Alameda writes next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have mixed emotions about this one. I agree the characters are awesome!

    ReplyDelete