Friday, October 9, 2015

The Underground Abductor

23167768
From Goodreads:    Araminta Ross was born a slave in Delaware in the early 19th century. Slavery meant that her family could be ripped apart at any time, and that she could be put to work in dangerous places and for abusive people. But north of the Mason-Dixon line, slavery was illegal. If she could run away and make it north without being caught or killed, she’d be free. Facing enormous danger, Araminta made it, and once free, she changed her name to Harriet Tubman. Tubman spent the rest of her life helping slaves run away like she did, every time taking her life in her hands. Nathan Hale tells her incredible true-life story with the humor and sensitivity he’s shown in every one of the Hazardous Tales—perfect for reluctant readers and classroom discussions.



My Thoughts:

-    I had a major stupid moment with this book. I picked it up because I love Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, and I didn't even read the synopsis or anything. It took me about halfway through the book before I realized this was Harriet Tubman's story. DUH!

-    I love that it is Nathan Hale telling historical future stories to the hangman and soldier. It is so clever!

-    I love the hangman's interjections. He often says what I am thinking. He speaks for the audience, and it is awesome!

-    I loved the quick summary of Frederick Douglas, but he really should have his own book.

-    Illustrations and panel are so much fun!

-    Even though these books cover serious topics, they are very tastefully hilarious! I love it.

-    I can't for more Hazardous Tales!


1 comment: