Author: Lisa Fipps
Publisher: Penguin Young Readers
Date Published: March 9, 2021
Genre: Contemporary, Middle Grade, Books In Verse
- Starfish is getting a lot of buzz this year, and it deserves all the praise. It is such an important message about bullying and body image. I think everyone should read this, and it should be in all the schools.
- Ellie is bigger than most of the kids in her school, so she is teased and bullied relentlessly. What is even worse, is her mother is also fat shaming her relentlessly. Ellie doesn't care about her weight, she just wants to be loved and accepted for who she is. She has let her weight define her, but she is so much more.
- I loved Ellie's journey. She was able to overcome her outside influences and negative inner voice. It was such a beautiful journey to self-love.
- I love books in verse. I know they aren't for everyone, but I think books in verse are so poignant and beautiful.
- I think this book could teach a lot of people to be kinder to others and ourselves.